An extra hour of sleep!
This weekend we finally get back that hour of sleep that was stolen from us by Daylight Savings Time back in March. So, don’t forget to set your clocks BACK an hour when you go to bed Saturday night (11/3).
Besides the obvious ones (like your alarm clock!), here are a few clocks you might not think to change:
- Sprinkler system – Don’t forget that most cities are still under some kind of daytime watering restrictions. That hour can cost you a stiff fine!
- DVR – Most should update automatically, but make sure so you don’t miss those games on Sunday!
- Cell phone – Again, most update automatically, but some don’t.
- Clock in your car – How annoying is it to drive around for months thinking that you’re early to wherever your heading???
Aside from the fact that I vehemently dislike DST and believe that it’s an antiquated ritual that does nothing more than jack with our natural biorhythms unnecessarily twice a year, the time change is the perfect checkpoint to do a few home safety & efficiency checks:
- Change the batteries in your smoke detectors.
- While you’re up on that ladder changing batteries in your smoke detectors, replace old conventional light bulbs with energy efficient compact fluorescent bulbs to save money.
- Check the batteries in those emergency flashlights so they actually work when you need them to!
- Check your first aid & emergency kits.
- Make or review your family emergency plan. Parents.com recently posted a great article about family emergency preparedness – http://www.parents.com/parenting/better-parenting/advice/emergency-preparedness/.
Source: organizedhome.com (http://organizedhome.com/daylight-savings-time-safety-checklist)
Read more about Daylight Savings Time at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_savings_time.
Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy your extra hour!
How’s that for a disclaimer???