Top 5 Reasons to Take a Walk
Being self-directed and having a little more control over my schedule definitely has its perks and its challenges. In the last month or so, I’ve been making a more concerted effort to take care of this one and only body the good Lord blessed me with. Part of that is getting it moving more again after foot surgery this summer, which as you can guess, made mobility at bit of an issue. On a suggestion from my coach, I began starting my day off with a walk almost 2 weeks ago. The difference it has made for my body, mind, & soul is simply stunning. During my last walk, I started ticking off all the great things my 30-minute morning jaunts are doing for me. In no particular order …
- It gets my blood pumping! Let’s face it … some nights we get more/better sleep than others and not matter how much or what kind of sleep I get, my alarm still buzzes at 5:00am. Ouch! Instead of dragging a** through the day, getting my walk in gets my blood pumping & endorphins flowing and helps me shake off any residual sluggishness. Truth time – some mornings it pumps a little faster than others. I usually shoot for a 15 minute mile (I know lightening, right???), and some mornings it’s not quite that brisk. It doesn’t matter! The effect is the same. Beautiful, isn’t it?
- It clears my mind! I admit that I’m a recovering Type A, High D, whatever-you-want-to-call-it personality. That means there’s usually a lot of J-U-N-K floating around in my brain. I have no idea what it is about morning air, but it has an incredible clearing effect. BREATHE – In with the good, out with the bad. This is the time that I can finally start to get clarity for my day. Ahhhhh.
- It calms my soul. I’m a full time REALTOR, wife, and mother to a 2 & 4 year old. I joyfully embrace all that God has blessed me with. What I could do without is the chaos that clutters my soul sometimes. The time I spend bipedaling through my neighborhood allows me an uninterrupted opportunity to reevaluate & re-center on what’s important in my life and in my business. For me, clear priorities = calm soul.
- It reminds me to see & appreciate the small things! Too often, we spend our lives … okay, I spend my life … on the go-go-go. Go here … go there … fast, fast, fast! How on earth can you possibly notice the small things – a bird chirping, your neighbor’s new Halloween decorations, the small signs of progress on the neighborhood school being built – if you’re driving by at Mach 2 with your hair on fire??? You just can’t. A far slower form of locomotion allows us to really experience what’s happening around us.
- It improves my health! Being 2 kids and 17 years past 20, my body is telling me in some less than subtle ways that it’s time to start making my health a priority (see #3). One day, I’ll do more than a 30-minute walk. I even have aspirations of doing a triathlon. And for today, this is enough. My body & my health appreciate that I’m doing more now that I was a month ago. Woo hoo!
For those reasons and so many more, do yourself a favor – get moving! It doesn’t matter if it’s 30 minutes first thing in the morning or 10 minutes at lunch (what a great mid-day pick me up!). Just move!
How’s that for a disclaimer???